Sunday, September 18, 2011

Coconut Crepes [[take one]]

I love Crepes. I love Coconut. Put the two together and it sounds like heaven...right? Mmmm.no.

I dont know what I did wrong. These things where not "Crepes" at all. More like Fluffy, Gooey, Grainy, Delicious Pancakes...good...but Crepes.

Here is the recipe:

1 Cup Coconut Milk
2 Tablespoons Tapioca Starch
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
3 Eggs
Coconut Oil for coating the pan

I love to alter recipes, and I consider myself to be a fairly advanced cook (hell, I made a Souffle today people- just.for.the.fun.of.it) so I figured, what would be the big deal substituting a few ingredients in the above recipe for more budget friendly ingredients that I already had in my pantry. After all, I wanted crepes NOW, not after a Trip to Trader Joes.

 So here is the recipe I used with my alterations:

1 Cup Almond Milk
2 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
2 Eggs
Butter for Coating the pan


So I'm thinking I messed up in several places...not enough eggs one and two, using real butter to coat the pan instead of the high heat stable coconut oil. I'm learning people. Dont judge me!

After this breakfast fail I researched coconut flour properties and I learned that coconut flour is a slow cook-er (yes, I just made up that word) so when I lathered up my stainless steal skillet (on medium heat) with butter, poured on the coconut batter, and waited for it to 'bubble' and behave like a regular crepe I got impatient. Its hard to wait 10 minutes to flip one crepe at a time, when you have a hungry husband and toddler pacing and fussing in the kitchen about how "nangey" (Toddler speak for hungry) they are...so I cranked up the heat on that bad boy, burnt the butter, flipped the soggy crepe and crossed my fingers that they would be too hungry to notice it was all crumbly.

I love my husband. That man eats anything I put in front of him- usually with little fuss.

He ate two burnt, soggy-crumbly Coconut "crepes" smothered in Strawberry sauce like a champ. He even had the smarts to tell me "Mmm..yeah, honey- its good" before he promptly put his plate away before he could be awarded seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment